MyBirth was dreamed up by Amy, Emily, and Jenny in the fall of 2013. After working together for a couple of years on the board of Richmond Doulas, they knew they shared a similar philosophy regarding birth work, and a clear idea of what kind of preparation and classes they wished their clients could utilize.
Slowly, MyBirth was born, reflecting the lessons we've learned through a combined 20 years of professional labor support, and it continues to grow. In the coming months and years, we hope to bring new learning opportunities to Richmond families, and collaborate to improve and support the birth options of all women.
The doulas of MyBirth happily support all types of birth:
- Hospital, home, or birth center
- Scheduled and/or medically indicated inductions
- Vaginal and cesarean birth
- Medicated or unmedicated birth
- Repeat cesareans or VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
- All care providers , both physician and midwifery practice models
"I see multiple doulas listed. How do your labor support services work?"
The doulas of MyBirth individually contract with their labor support clients. You choose the doula that you feel the greatest connection with and would like to support you during your birth. She is your doula and will be there for your prenatal visits, birth, and postpartum. Each of us take no more than 2-3 clients per month and very rarely are required to call-in back up help.
You as a client of MyBirth have the reassurance that you know the other doulas in our practice that could potentially step in if your doula is unable to attend you. Your fee and contract provide you with 24/7 coverage from seven professional, experienced, and dedicated doulas that are well practiced in the seamless transition of care that a laboring mother and her family would require.
"What services will the MyBirth doulas provide?"
As of April 1, 2016, parents will be able to choose between two price options: $700 or $900. All labor support clients receive the same services for their fee. These include:
- Access to your doula via text, phone, and email from the time that we receive your signed contract and deposit. Your doula will answer any questions that you have, offer encouragement, information, and resources for ways to improve your pregnancy.
- Two prenatal consultations, each approximately two hours in length. The first consultation is in our office with other parents that are expecting their baby(s) in the same time period. This visit will be an opportunity to get to know the other doulas of MyBirth, build community with other parents, and learn more about birth and what to expect on the big day. The second visit is in your home with your doula, and will cover the personal side of birth; your concerns and goals, how she can serve you best during your labor and postpartum, reviewing your Birth Preferences, and any other questions you may have.
- Your doula's 24/7 availability from week 38 of your pregnancy until the birth of your child(ren), plus the peace of mind that comes with knowing the other doulas in our group.
- Your doula's continuous support through the entirety of your birth, both over the phone and in person. Carefully considering your goals for how you would like to experience childbirth, your doula will tailor her encouragement to your desires, meeting you where you are and offering unwavering support for your decisions.
- Two postpartum visits, one in the hospital the day after birth, the other within 48-72 hours of your arrival home. These visits will focus on easing your transition into life with baby, your recovery from childbirth, and getting a solid foundation on the basics of feeding your baby.
- Continued support from your doula via text, email, and phone as you progress through the first days, weeks, and months of parenthood. We really are your doulas forever!